Writing for the Web – Rules for Writing for Websites
One might think that writing for the web is a huge deal, but it really is not. If you have good command on your English, then you are good to go.
What you might lack are some important guidelines that are essential to make your website work a 100%.
Rules for Writing
There are a couple of rules, which if you kept in mind will surely come in handy. Moreover, they will guarantee you a nicely written piece of work.
- Most of us just scan through articles online to find ourselves important points that we are looking for. Instead, start with cutting off extra information and breaking your text down by writing short multiple paragraphs.
- To make your work easy to scan, use headings, subheadings, bullet points, numbered Lists, cross-heads, etc.
- Use headings, because they make it easier for the reader to find what he is looking for. Keep in mind to write them in bold text. It is essential to capitalize these headlines.
- Be as precise as you can, because readers avoid long texts. Write good grammar Write on interesting topics, keeping the reader in mind. Avoid complex sentences that will make the reader read the sentence multiple times in order to understand.
- Use easy words instead of using big words when writing for the web, because you have a vast audience. Assuming that they would know vocabulary is a mistake.
- Assuming people have complete knowledge on any topic or word or person or place is not good. Not everyone knows about things that you know. Be sure to give full descriptions of what you are telling them or add reference links to your text. This will help the reader instantly click on the link and get more details of what they are looking for.
- Links can also be useful when talking about your company, business, a specific person, or department. Insert links to email addresses, other websites or articles and blogs to make it convenient for the reader.
The last things to do are scan and rescan your write-up once you are done, to eliminate any errors. Follow the rules listed above and you will do just fine. You will be surprised to find that writing for the web is pretty easy and fun! Click here for more articles that are helpful.